This method is what we call a “manual theme update”. You’re going to delete the old version of theme, and then install a new version. It might be a bit cumbersome, so we recommend that first – you try to setup Automatic theme updates, it won’t take long, and you’ll get easy theme updates for a long time.
We try to release updates for our themes on regular basis, so that they would work smoother, look better and have more needed features, so when possible you should always use the latest version to gain the most from the theme.
Watch a quick video tutorial
Update theme in 4 quick steps
Here are the instructions on how to update your theme to the latest version safely:
- First you should backup your site just in case. You can read about that more here. There are dozens of free and premium plugins out there that can do this for you, like BackWPup, BackUpWordPress and more. You should be backing up your WordPress already anyway.
- Go to Appearance > Themes and activate any other theme, for example Twenty Fourteen.
- Place your mouse cursor over your deactivated custom theme (this example uses Camilla, but the same applies to all our themes) and click on Theme Details.
- Now click on the Delete button ( don’t worry, you’re not going to lose your data, WordPress takes care of that )
- Download and install a fresh copy of your theme from ThemeForest as you normally would.
- If the Theme is asking you to install/activate something, for example “Portfolio Plugin”, then do it.
That should do the trick and now you should have the latest version of your theme.